Statute Of Limitations Prevents Charges Against Diddy For Alleged 2016 Assault, DA Says

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office has announced that Sean “Diddy” Combs cannot be charged for the alleged violent attack on his then-girlfriend Cassie Ventura in 2016 due to the expiration of the statute of limitations.

The statement comes after a disturbing video surfaced last week showing Combs chasing, grabbing, throwing, and kicking Ventura in the hallway of the InterContinental Hotel in Century City, Los Angeles, on March 5, 2016.

“We find the images extremely disturbing and difficult to watch,” the district attorney’s office said in a statement posted to social media. “If the conduct depicted occurred in 2016, unfortunately, we would be unable to charge as the conduct would have occurred beyond the timeline where a crime of assault can be prosecuted.”

The office also noted that law enforcement has not presented a case related to the attack depicted in the video against Combs but encouraged anyone who has been a victim or witness to a crime to report it or seek support from their Bureau of Victims Services.

Ventura filed a lawsuit against Combs in November 2023, accusing the music mogul of abuse throughout their relationship from 2007 to 2018. The lawsuit was settled the following day for an undisclosed amount.

Combs’ attorney, Ben Brafman, said that his client “vehemently denies these offensive and outrageous allegations” and that the decision to settle the lawsuit “does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims.”

The release of the video comes on the heels of federal raids on two of Combs’ homes in March in connection to an alleged sex trafficking investigation by the Department of Homeland Security.