Former Trump Official In Critical Condition After DC Shooting

Former Trump official and a married father of three is in critical condition after he was gunned down Monday night during a series of carjackings in the D.C. area.

Mike Gill, who served as chief operating officer of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission while Donald Trump was president, was critically injured in the shooting and remains hospitalized, according to his family.

The violence began when the suspect shot a person inside a car around 5:45 p.m. Monday on K Street Northwest, according to police. The individual inside the car collapsed onto the sidewalk and was rushed to the hospital. The man was later identified as Mike Gill.

Gill was in his car picking up his wife from a restaurant in City Center when he was shot. He is currently in critical condition.

Gill is a former GOP representative on the D.C. Board of Elections and works for the Housing Policy Council. According to Gill’s bio on the HPC’s website, he previously worked as Chief of Staff to the Former U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission Chairman Christopher Giancarlo and was the Chief Operating Officer of the agency.

In a statement shared by a family spokesperson, Gill is described as a devoted father with a great sense of humor.

“He makes friends with everyone and is always looking for opportunities to bring people together and make them feel included and loved. His warmth and kindness have touched the lives of many, evident in the outpouring of love and support his family has received during this difficult time,” the statement read.

About an hour after shooting Gill, the suspect tried to carjack another vehicle on Third Street NE, in which he was unsuccessful.

Ten minutes later, the gunman fatally shot driver Alberto Vasquez Jr. and stole his 2016 gray Chrysler 200, according to authorities.

The carjacker continued his criminal spree and stole a Nissan Rogue in University Park in Prince George’s County. The next day, authorities learned that someone driving a Nissan shot at a Maryland State Police cruiser that was stopped to help a disabled vehicle on I-95 near Route 198.

With the combined efforts of state and local authorities, the suspected gunman was shot and killed by New Carrollton police officers in Prince George’s County.